Friday, April 16, 2010

How I Felt

heehee - punny - yes, I am THAT dork!

I was at a bit of a loss what to do for William's Easter basket.  I mean, seriously, what does an 8 month old really care about?  He'd rather play with the shredded paper inside than any toys we would fill it with!  But I still felt the need to make him one - being his FIRST Easter and all.  I bought some extra pacis, cute bunny eggs, an Amanda Remembered outfit on super sale at the consignment store, a new sippy cup that he still refuses to drink formula out of, and some soft blocks.  But there was nothing in there from me.  (insert sad face here)

I was completely running out of time on Friday, and also out of groceries, so we were at Walmart picking up the essentials.  The frozen pizza JUST HAPPENS to be right by the baby/toddler section of clothes - so I peeked in, of course.  Don't tell Sam - but I always "peek" in.  And there it was - the perfect weight (slightly heavier), perfect size (12 months), white tshirt.  Lightbulb moment - FELT!!  

I have a couple small pieces of felt floating around the fabric bins, stitch witchery in tinier pieces I could use to keep it in place, and then I just had to decide whether hand-sewing or machine sewing was easier/better idea/cuter.  I googled, blogged, and decided on a blanket stitch.  Now, let me go ahead and mention, this project is by no means an original - it's ridiculously easy - so it's everywhere.  But it's the first time I did it, so I'm still pretty excited...



I winged the letter (though I think next time I'll print out a fun font) and the dots and then studied the blanket stitch.  I happened to already have green embroidery "floss" (is that what it's called?) - so I sat down - caught up on my DVR - and it was done in time for early Sunday morning.  

Now - like I said - this is super easy and I know that you can do it!!  

Items needed:
TShirt that fits your tot
One/Two colors of felt (8.5x11 sheets will be just fine)
Some kind of stitch witchery to hold felt in place while you handstitch
Embroidery floss, thread, whatever it's called
A needle 
Interesting TV/Movie so you don't get bored
A really good tutorial or two on blanket stitching

Seriously - you  can be totally done with this project in under two hour, assuming you don't get distracted...  Because that NEVER happens with little ones running around...ha! 

Stay tuned for a machine applique project - I think I'm going to try and get up the courage to try it soon!

No comments: